Very similar to a homemade pudding, a French pot de crème is a stirred custard dessert that can be easily flavored with your favorite sweet flavorings. Typically a bit more ‘loose’ in texture compared to what we know as pudding or custard, a pot de creme is also usually a bit more rich and therefore served in a smaller dessert vessel.
More often than not you will see chocolate pots de crème; with my affinity for white chocolate, I decided to flavor this version not only with melted white chocolate chips, but with a touch of orange flower water for a subtle citrus and floral scent, and served them with a variety of flavored chocolate-covered espresso beans. If you are a semi-sweet, milk chocolate or dark chocolate fan, simply swap in your favorite chocolate for the white chocolate here, and perhaps a touch of espresso powder for the orange flower water. Either way, stir to cook, chill and enjoy!
(To view this recipe, click on the blue title of the blog post above*)
White Chocolate Pots de Crème
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. white chocolate, chopped OR white chocolate chips
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange flower water or orange liqueur
- Chocolate-covered espresso beans, berries or shaved chocolate, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, warm the heavy cream along with the chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is warm and the chocolate melted completely.
- With the egg yolks in a small bowl, drizzle in a bit of the warm cream mixture while stirring, to slowly warm up the eggs without cooking them. (This is called tempering*)
- Add the eggs back into the saucepan of warm cream mixture and over low heat, stir while adding the vanilla, salt, orange extract and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly with a whisk over low heat for 7-8 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and the entire mixture is warm.
- Divide among 4 dessert glasses; cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving with your choice of garnish.
Tagged: chocolate, chocolate dessert, chocolate-covered espresso beans, creamy desserts, custard, cutard, dessert, eggs, French, French dessert, heavy cream, orange flower water, pot de crème, pots de crèmes, pudding, stirred custard, vanilla extract, white chocolate, white chocolate chips, white chocolate pots de crèmes