This decadent vegetarian pizza starts with your favorite store-bought (or homemade) pizza crust and flavorful marinara sauce, and ends with slices of creamy fresh mozzarella cheese. The toppings in between those ingredients are a saute of red onions, garlic cubed eggplant and wilted, peppery watercress. Any of your favorite fresh greens would work well here: spinach, escarole, kale, or even Swiss chard come to mind. Yet another example of how easy and creative a homemade pizza can be.
(To view this recipe, click on the blue title of the blog post above*)
Pizza with Eggplant, Watercress & Mozzarella
- 1lb. pizza dough (store-bought or homemade)
- Olive oil and cornmeal for the pizza pan
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 large eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup marinara sauce
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups watercress
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 6 rounds
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cut a parchment round the size of your pizza pan; spray with olive oil and dust with a couple Tablespoons of cornmeal.
- Allow your pizza dough to rise at room temperatures; punch it down, let it sit again for 20 minutes. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a round that fits onto your prepared pizza pan.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic and sliced red onion over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes; add in the cubed eggplant plus 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a big grinding of black pepper. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until the eggplant is beginning to get tender. Add in the white wine; reduce the heat to medium low and cook another 3 minutes. Add in the watercress and toss to wilt.
- On the prepared pizza crust, spread the marinara sauce leaving a 1-inch border. Top the marinara-sauced crust with the eggplant-greens mixture. Top with the mozzarella slices. Drizzle the whole pizza with a touch of olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the cheese melted.