This colorful side dish is filled with healthy ingredients. First you have chewy, nutty wheat berries. These whole grains are actually an entire wheat kernel that to cook, you cover with either water or a stock and cook for about an hour until chewy. For this side dish I tossed cooked wheat berries with roasted broccolini, shallots, cherry tomatoes and crunchy roasted pistachios. A lovely side dish that combines healthful whole foods–perfect as a side to any protein you are craving, or you can even serve this dish its own as a hearty vegetarian main dish.
(To view this recipe, click on the blue title of the blog post above*)
Wheat Berry Salad with Broccolini, Cherry Tomatoes & Pistachios
- ½ cup wheat berries
- Water or stock
- Olive oil
- 1 bunch of broccolini, ends trimmed, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces and florets
- 2 shallots, sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup roasted, salted pistachios (removed from their shell)
- Salt and pepper
- Place the wheat berries in a medium saucepan and cover with water or stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 1 hour, or until the wheat berries are chewy. Drain from any water left in the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray; arrange the prepared broccolini, shallots and cherry tomatoes on the pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a big grinding of black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast for 15-18 minutes or until the tomatoes have begun to wrinkle. Toss with pistachios and cooked wheat berries; serve warm.