Although we are not vegetarians, I like to include at least one vegetarian dinner in our dinnertime repertoire each week. There are so many wonderful vegetarian and even vegan recipes out there; it is hard not to be lured in by the gorgeous, colorful dishes of vegetables, hearty grains, and alternative proteins. I enjoy cooking with tofu whether it be a nice scramble for breakfast or in this case, a scrumptious addition to a quick-and-easy Chinese vegetable stir fry. Here’s the trick with tofu—standing alone, it is pretty flavorless. But for those of us who like to experiment with new flavors, tofu is a wonderful base for flavor experimentation! I have made a sweet-spicy glaze for the extra firm block of tofu made from thick, sweet maple syrup and spicy chili sauce, otherwise known as Siracha sauce. Topped with a scattering of sesame seeds and then broiled, the tofu is silky smooth and oh-so-tasty. Alongside an array of vibrantly colored vegetables and a bit of cashews for crunch, this dish is wonderful when served over brown rice. I’m thinking it would also be nice over lo mein noodles or maybe even rice noodles. You be the judge!
Maple-Siracha Glazed Tofu with Stir Fried Vegetables
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Siracha sauce (or any chili sauce will do)
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cashews
- 1 Tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Brown rice or noodles, for serving
- Preheat the oven to broil and arrange the top rack in the oven to the closest position to the top. Place the block of tofu on baking sheet. To make the glaze, combine the chili sauce and the maple syrup in a small bowl; whish with a fork to combine. Brush the glaze on top of the block of tofu. Sprinkle the glazed tofu with sesame seeds. Broil in the oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until the tofu is warmed through and the top caramelized.
- Meanwhile in a wok or large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in all of the vegetables and stirring often, sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Season with the soy sauce and sesame oil; add in the cashews. Remove from the heat and serve over brown rice, with a portion of glazed tofu on the side.
Tagged: broccoli, brown rice, carrots, cashews, chili sauce, Chinese, glazed tofu, maple syrup, matchstick carrots, pepper, red chile, sesame oil, Siracha sauce, snow peas, soy sauce, stir fry, tofu, yellow bell pepper