Searching for a decadent side dish that is also super easy to prepare? You should definitely try my Roast Fennel with Fontina. Fontina cheese, a semi-soft cow’s milk cheese from the Alps, is the perfect melting cheese for this, and any other dish where you need a gooey, cheesy top. The mixing of textures and tastes is what this dish is all about; creamy fontina cheese melted atop perfectly roasted, sweet fennel slices. This dish is the perfect accompaniment for a tender roast chicken or even your favorite pasta dish.
(To view this recipe, click on the blue title of the blog post above*)
Roast Fennel with Fontina
- 2 fennel bulbs, stems trimmed, bulbs cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 4 oz. fontina cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the cut fennel on a parchment-lined baking dish. Drizzle with the oil, season with salt and pepper and toss with the red pepper flakes and parsley. Roast for 35 minutes or until the fennel is tender and lightly caramelized on the bottom.
- Remove the fennel from the oven, top with the shredded fontina and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.