This healthy raw kale salad becomes even more desirable with the decadent addition of crispy prosciutto, crunchy sunflower seeds and shaved Parmesan. A simple Dijon mustard and lemon juice vinaigrette adds just the right amount of brightness to each-and-every bite; this is a lovely side salad but could easily be made into a main course salad with the addition of roasted chicken, pan-seared salmon or even a vegetarian main with slices of crisp apple, buttery pears, or protein-packed lentils or chickpeas.
(To view this recipe, click on the blue title of the blog post above*)
Raw Kale Salad with Crispy Prosciutto & Parmesan Cheese
- 1 head of kale, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves washed/dried and thinly sliced
- 8 slices of thinly sliced prosciutto de Parma, cut into strips
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, for serving
- For the vinaigrette:
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- To crisp up the prosciutto, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the prosciutto strips and cook, tossing occassionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the prosciutto is crispy and browned.
- To assemble the salad, toss the prepared kale with the sunflower seeds, crispy prosciutto and top with shaved Parmesan.
- Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar and shake until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.