This is one of my all-time favorite Italian salads. Thinly sliced, crunchy fennel is combined with sliced cremini mushrooms, shaved Pecorino Romano cheese and a lemony Dijon vinaigrette studded with chopped, fresh parsley. Simple, healthy and a perfect accompaniment to just about any entree idea; serve it alongside your favorite pasta dish, roasted pork or chicken dish, or even a simple seared fish dish with sautéed broccoli rabe.
(To view this recipe, click on the blue title of the blog post above*)
Mushroom & Fennel Salad with Shaved Pecorino
- 8 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 head of fennel, stems and fronds removed, bulb halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- A wedge of Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- For the vinaigrette:
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- juice of 2 lemons
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the sliced mushrooms together with the sliced fennel and parsley. Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together until smooth and emulsified; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Pecorino cheese shavings made with a vegetable peeler.
Tagged: cremini mushrooms, Dijon mustard, fennel, fresh fennel, fresh parsley, Italian, Italy, lemon juice, mushroom and fennel salad, mushrooms, parsley, pecorino romano cheese, raw mushroom and fennel salad, shaved cheese, shaved Pecorino, sliced fennel, sliced mushrooms, vinaigrette, walnut oil