These tender baked plum tomatoes are filled with a homemade basil pesto sauce, creamy crumbles of French goat cheese, and for a bit of crunch–toasted Panko breadcrumbs. A simple yet super flavorful side dish that works well with a roast chicken, served on the side of your favorite soup, or even a top al dente pasta for a vegetarian dinner idea.
(To view this recipe, click on the blue title of the blog post above*)
Baked Plum Tomatoes with Pesto & Goat Cheese
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- For the pesto sauce:
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons pine nuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Crumbled goat cheese
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place each tomato half cut-side up on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle each with a touch of oil and a pinch of both salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- To make the pesto, process its ingredients in a small food processor until smooth. Add a Tablespoon of water if you need to thin out the sauce.
- Spoon some pesto into each baked tomato half; top with some goat cheese and a sprinkling of breadcrumbs. Bake again for 5-7 minutes and serve warm.