A pizza with potatoes as a topping might sound strange, but don’t knock it til you try it. Thinly sliced Yukon gold potatoes are first roasted until tender, then top a whole wheat pizza crust slathered with your favorite pesto sauce. Thinly sliced prosciutto, sliced mushrooms and sweet peppers also adorn this delightful pizza; colorful and very flavorful, I decided to top this gourmet homemade pizza with some grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of creamy goat cheese crumbles.
(To view this recipe, click on the blue title of the blog post above*)
Potato, Mushroom & Prosciutto Pizza with Pesto
- 1 lb. whole wheat pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced sweet peppers
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Arrange the thinly sliced potatoes on a parchment or foil-lined, oil sprayed baking sheet. Season with a ¼ teaspoon salt and a ¼ teaspoon black pepper; roast the potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Roll out the pizza dough to fit onto a round pizza pan. Spread with the pesto, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with the potatoes, prosciutto, mushrooms and sweet peppers. Sprinkle with both cheeses and the crushed red pepper flakes if using. Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, or until the crust is puffed and browned. Let the pizza rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving warm.