My favorite variety of kale is Lacinato kale, also known as Tuscan or black kale. Whether raw or sauteed, I love its hearty texture, its slightly bitter flavor and its versatility. For this salad, I shredded the Tuscan kale into bite-sized pieces and topped it with roasted figs, parsnips, and crunchy toasted hazelnuts. For a nice creamy element, I like serving this salad with wedges of dreamy Roquefort cheese. Any sort of blue cheese would do here, but I love the strong flavor and slight spiciness of the Roquefort blue cheese.
(To view this recipe, click on the blue title of the blog post above*)
Shredded Kale Salad with Balsamic-Roasted Figs, Parsnips & Roquefort
- 1 bunch of Tuscan kale, stems trimmed, leaves cut into shredded/bite-sized pieces
- 8-10 fresh Black Mission figs, halved
- ½ lb. parsnips, peeled and sliced into rounds
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- Fresh thyme
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
- Wedge of Roquefort cheese, cut into slices
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a foil or parchment-lined bakign sheet with olive oil spray. Arrange the parsnips, halved figs (cut side up), and hazelnuts in an even layer on the pan. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a touch of salt and pepper, and sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme as well. Roast in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until the parsnips are tender.
- Toss the shredded kale in a salad bowl with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, 2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the roasted nuts, figs and parsnips to the top of the salad bowl. Serve the salad with slices of the Roquefort cheese.
Tagged: balsamic vinegar, balsamic-roasted figs, blue cheese, figs, fresh thyme, hazelnuts, kale salad, Lacinato kale, parsnips, raw kale salad, roasted figs, roasted vegetables, Roquefort cheese, Salad, shredded kale