I love that the majority of grocery stores these days are selling bags of pre-sliced broccoli stems and/or brussels sprouts for a healthy alternative to a traditional cabbage slaw. A lovely idea for a raw salad side dish, I decided to combine some of the sliced brussels sprouts with crispy, thinly sliced sweet apples, sliced dried apricots and crunchy roasted pepitas. Topped with a flavorful maple syrup and grainy mustard vinaigrette before serving, try variations on this recipe with some of your other favorite fruits and nuts, and whatever tangy vinaigrette you are in the mood for.
(To view this recipe, click on the blue title of the blog post above*)
Brussels Sprout & Apple Slaw with Maple-Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3 cups broccoli or brussels sprouts slaw mix
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pepitas (or sunflower seeds)
- For the dressing:
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Toss the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk the vinaigrette’s ingredients together until smooth; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the dressing drizzled over the salad.
Tagged: apples, brussels sprout slaw, brussels sprouts, coarse grain mustard, coleslaw, Dijon mustard, dried apricots, lemon juice, maple syrup, maple-mustard vinaigrette, mustard-maple vinaigrette, pepitas, pumpkin seeds, raw vegetables, Salad, side dish, slaw, vegetarian